Sunday, February 26, 2012

Birth Story in Pictures

Tuesday, February 14th, was day we had been waiting for. We headed over to Shady Grove Hospital at 7 am to be induced.

Very ready to have this baby!



Filling out paperwork

My stomach started doing flip flops when I saw our delivery room.

Getting all hooked up


Looking sassy in a hospital robe is a challenge.
When I got all hooked up, we discovered that I was already in labor! I as dilated to a 5 and things were progressing on their own. I wasn't in any pain, so I thought I was having BH contractions. 

The doctor decided to let me go on my own for a while to see if we could get away with not needing to be induced.
 
JD pretending to read while we waited for things to kick into gear. I don't think he could concentrate very well.

Trying to sleep.

What's everyone whining about? This labor thing is a piece a of cake!

Bet you've never seen a lady in labor pole dancing!

Everyone who complains about labor are a bunch of wusses.

Little online shopping. Checkin' on stocks. Writing my memoir.

Obviously, I did need something to kick this thing into gear. After a low dose of medication and more waiting, the doctor decided to strip my membranes. Now THAT got things started. Contractions came hard and heavy and things progressed pretty quickly. Soon, I was ready to push. Apparently I've got the Recht Turbo Pushing gene. I popped that baby out in 15 minutes. I guess I became the story of the day, because everyone was shocked at how fast I had her. 

And the best part of the whole thing- she breathed on her own. The fear of my family history was not realized. She was perfect. 


She was born so fast that they had to suction her. Usually the process of pushing helps to remove the gunk from a baby's lungs, but she came too quickly for that. She also didn't get a funny looking head. All very nice for her, but it shredded me. I'll be feelin' it for weeks.


I was going crazy in my bed trying to see her across the room getting cleaned up and worked on. All I could see from around all of the staff was pink little toes and fingers.

After what seemed like forever, JD brought her over to me.



Utter amazement




She's so beautiful

Spreading the good news









Hello, Grandma!


With cousin Carter

Aunt Lori


Eek! She's just too cute!
JD surprised me with a special Valentine's gift

He got me a beautiful Pandora charm bracelet with a charm of Faith's birth stone.


Daddy learning to change a diaper

The staff at Shady Grove were amazing. Our nurse took the time to teach JD good diapering technique.

It's all in the wrist.

Now THIS is the way it should be done. Put Daddy to work while Mommy checks the internets.


Learning to swaddle


Happy baby

She has a thing with her tongue- it's always sticking out!

Cuddle shots!


Love her swirly hair!






Mama, her baby, and her beautiful bracelet.

Unfortunately, Faith's blood sugar was too low when she was born, so we had to feed her formula. And the battle of nipple confusion begins....



But boy, is she a sweetie!

12 comments:

  1. Megan,

    SO excited and thrilled for you and your family. Congratulations! She is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at your baby is making me a baby! As I wipes my tears and blow my nose over adorable pictures! Can ur photographer come to my birth? I'll pay ;) she is truly beautiful and such a miracle! I know all about baby miracles! Parker was our fighter! I HAVE to visit u while we are both on the east

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love that! We ought to get together with Brit too.

      Delete
  3. What a joy to relive the day of Faith's birth! A beautiful day and a beautiful baby, mother and family were born!

    Alex -- I know a photographer you could hire.....she'd do an even better job than this one did....

    And also -- someday when you want to talk "Canon" -- let me know. I could use some tips! We Canon people have to stick together in this family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,

    Faith is absolutely adorable and I am so happy for you and JD. Keep the pictures coming!

    Jennelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was one of the most beautiful stories I have had the privilege to see and read. What a beautiful family. Thank you for sharing, you have touched my heart. So grateful for families!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second what Elizabeth said. That was just beautiful and so touching.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is SO beautiful!!! Congratulations!!! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherri! I'm all about Canon and manual setting! Would love to play with our cameras! U should come to when we all get together out east! And mom Rammell! But her camera is not welcome. I think it's a Nikon :$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....she has many wonderful qualities, but her camera is not one of them....too bad, cuz that's who I was thinking would do a fabulous job photographing your delivery! Perhaps an exception to policy could be made.....
      Re Canon: haven't learned "manual" yet. Sure could use some lessons!

      Delete
  9. Love your blog - you are very talented in blogging and birthing!! Great job. So wonderful to see you all growed up and a mama!! As always love from the Bitterroot - Dena

    ReplyDelete